Thursday, January 15, 2015

BROKEN BABY

The 3 youngest were in the living room watching a show around four in the afternoon, so I went into the kitchen to get the twins' their afternoon bottles.  I had been gone maybe 3 minutes and I heard her cry.  I don't run to my children crying very often, but this one, I did.  Poor Miss Parker was crumpled on her belly on the floor by the side of couch with her arms under her.  I knew it the second I saw her, and heard a voice in my head say, "Her arm is broken," before I even touched her or saw her arm.  It wasn't obviously broken.  I held her for a second trying to figure out where she was hurt.  She was guarding her right arm but I didn't know if it was her forearm, wrist or even collar bone.  I took her to my mom, and she also agreed she was acting like it was broken.  At that point, she wouldn't pick up her pacifier with that hand and was continually whimpering.  The biggest indicator was that she wouldn't put her hand in my shirt for comfort (she always put her right hand in my cleavage ever since I weaned her).
So to the ER we went.  Here you can see she was actually using it by then.  She had fallen asleep in the car on the way and was even hitting the doctor with her broken arm.  She didn't want anyone to touch her!  Poor little baby didn't understand and was hurting, but she started perking back up after they got it set and casted.  The nurse was really great and actually the one that set the bone.  The doctor almost didn't have us get xrays because of how Parker was using her arm and that it didn't look physically different from her other arm, nor was swollen or red.  I waivered for a second but stuck to my guns!  The first xray, it popped right up.  She broke her radius midshaft clean through.  The xray tech said often that break also breaks the other bone, so I'm glad it ended up just being an "easy" fix.  By the time we got home, she was back to her normal self.  Besides asking me to take off her cast, it hasn't been too much of a bother.  I hold her more and limit her activity as much as possible, but I haven't had to give her tylenol or anything.  Anyway, I'm making this a long story.  It's just always such a big deal when one of your own kids gets hurt or at least significantly hurt....so tramatizing when they scream "mama, mama, mama!' when the doctor and nurses are hurting/helping them....BUT in reality, it wasn't much of anything and will effect her little life in no way once it's all healed up.
Her new pink cast a week later.  Hopefully by February, it will be off !
 She's obviously perfectly fine, and oh, here is Scarlett in the blue and apparently all the laundry ;)
She's even well enough to still feed the dog every morning ;)

No comments: