With the twins coming, we decided it would be wise to go down to being a "one dog family." I bought Kali almost 8 years ago from the family of the guy I was dating at the time. She was bred by their family and is a Jack Russell Terrier. I feel in love with that quiet little puppy with the split face (and yes, Kali was the calmest, quietest puppy of the bunch...lol). She definitely turned into a spunky, social, active little lady, but really also developed into an obedient, trustworthy family pet too. I named her Kali because of her half black/half white face. Kali is the name of one of the more well-known Hindu goddesses that both creates and destroys, so I thought the opposites fit well with Kali the dog's opposite face. She even had some black nails and some white. Her spotted fur didn't develop until she was older, and before she was spayed, she had about 4 lbs more of muscle on her body. Anyway, I always loved Kali and for my late college years, she was my baby girl who kept me busy during some hard times as I figured myself out.
Some funny memories....
- My parents had watched Kali the first week or so of our marriage. Kali totally hid under the bed the first time she was in our apartment and witnessed us having sex...eventually she learned to live with it, but it did take her awhile to warm up to Jimmy
- She was always scared of inanimate objects that she hadn't seen before....so in her mind, the hair clip James attached to her leg one time was a near-death experience
- She was best friends with our dog Leia (a blue heeler mix who is dead now ), so much so that she would help pull her poop out of her butt while Leia was actively defecating
- Kali would lay right on top of Leia and was always interested in everything she did. Poor Leia would put up with almost all of it except that one time that Kali "took out" Leia's legs and landed her flat on her back while chasing a ball on the tile. She was attacked for that embarrassment
- She would whine and jump up to try and look inside Brooklyn's bassinet worried about what needed to be done whenever Brooke cried after coming home from the hospital. She did this most of Brooke's newborn life, but as soon as Kali realized what children actually do to dogs, she spent the rest of her time with us avoiding them except when they were eating ;). It was cute though how she always knew they were an important extension of us and part of her family.
So we chose Kali to be the one to leave the family because of her social, friendly demeanor. Kali would adjust to a new family much better than our socially retarded Mini Pinscher, Apollo. The girls actually both said they wanted Apollo to stay with us over Kali too. I think it's because he actively plays with them, while Kali usually napped. It all worked out great though. I asked my friend's mom who bred her if she would be interested in having her back. Their whole family actually agreed that they wanted Kali back. My ex-boyfriend and his wife with their two little girls actually are the ones who took her. I'm glad she went to someone she knew. They say she is doing great and I'm glad. It's definitely been quieter around here with just Apollo, but no one has been too sad after we got past the first day without her and
saying goodbye.


No comments:
Post a Comment