Monday, March 14, 2011

DID YOU SAY $13.75??

Did I say $13.75? Ummm, yeah! So I've realized something about myself...I don't do things, especially new things, unless I can "go big." I'm a huge money saver, but have never gotten into couponing. It intimidated me, and I knew that it would take some effort and I am not capable of only being "half good" at something. I may be an improved perfectionist, but yet, still a perfectionist. Long story short I'm learning to coupon. We don't get huge commission checks from SallieMae anymore. I'm not being a complainer, but the reality is, we are making less money now. SallieMae did us well, especially in that last year. I'm grateful that the gospel teaches us to be self-sufficient and wise with our money. We are in a stable place and can afford to have less income. What a blessing and testimony booster this whole experience has been. James' new job at Grainger is going great though. He's happier and less stressed. I know he'll move up quickly. It just stinks to be starting over in a new company when you were near the top at your last job.

Back to my original subject. I rocked Walgreens this week. That is $13 for 13 items (about a $1 a piece). In case you can't really see, that's:
2 Irish Spring Men's deodorants
Herbal Essence Shampoo
Herbal Essence Hair Spray
Clearasil Acne Pads
2 boxes of General Mills Cereal
2 pkgs of diapers
1 Pinesol
3 bags of M&Ms

So, I bought a Sunday paper. I watched the ads, cut coupons, and did research on some money saving blogs that post information and internet coupons (my favorites are http://freebies2deals.com/ and http://www.passionforsavings.com/ ). It did take some effort and I did need to read Walgreens coupon policy to really understand what I could pull off. Now that I understand it though, I will rock Walgreens every week now. Basically, I went in once and bought the first 4 things on my list. They were all on sale and all offered "Register Rewards" (printed Walgreens money you can use on your next purchase). I used a coupon on each item. I spent $10.33 and saved $11.97 and received $7 in Register Rewards. Then I went and bought the rest of the items. They were all on sale (the diapers were buy 1 get 1 free!) again and I had coupons for each item again. I used my $7 Register Rewards too. That means I spent $3.42 and saved $30.68 on my next trip. So ladies and gentlemen, that's right...a total cost of $13.75 and savings of $42.65. Walgreens is overpriced so the "savings" they list on their receipt is a little exaggerated, but even at Target, all of that would have cost me at least $35.

3 comments:

Jordan and Jessica Ault said...

thats awesome! ive tried getting in the whole couponing thing ...... but its alot of work! so needeless to say, ive given up lol. but i do have plans to start back up! epecially when i see deals like yours!

Tiffany said...

Way to go! I used to be into couponing too. I wasn't quite as good as you though. I have never tried Walgreens. I'll have to look into that.

GRAMMY said...

Way to go Andi!!!! I'm so proud of you. Jimmy has a "pearl" of a wife. Thanks for loving him so much.

love you xox
Mom