Friday, May 7, 2010

BROOKE'S GRANDPA

I haven't been able to get this out of mind, so I thought I'd blog about it. Sorry, it's long but worth reading. There are some things you have to know first to understand the significance of this story...

Side story 1: James' dad died when James was 12 years old.

Side story 2: We have tried to explain family relations to Brooklyn before and it usually goes right over her head (for ex. telling her that her grandma is my mom). We have a picture up of James' dad in our living room that Brooke often takes notice to and surprisingly understands. She points to the picture and the conversation generally goes like this...

"Daddy's dad?" she asks.
"Yep, that's Daddy's dad, "one of us will answer.
"He my grandpa?"
"Yep."
"He die."
"Yes, he got hurt and died."
Sometimes she'll then talk about the 'Lion King' and Simba's dad dying in the movie to reassure herself that she understands the topic.

One day, she pointed to the picture and went through her normal questioning, but it went like this...
"Daddy's dad?" she asked.
"Yep," Jimmy said.
"He my grandpa, " she stated.
"Yep," Jimmy concurred.
"He talk to me."
"He talks to you?"
"Yep."
She didn't or wouldn't say anything more. We thought it was kind of neat, but really, can you take a toddler's word for truth?

Side story 3: Obviously Brooke doesn't understand that Elizabeth, Cierra and Rylee are her aunts. On her own, she started calling them her friends. She sees them once or twice a week and asks me almost everyday, "see my friends?" They are the only children that she labels her friends. It's her 2 year old way of expressing that they are important to her and that she loves them.

The actual story: I took a couple of days to get all the baby stuff out of the garage about 2 weeks ago. I thought it would be fun for Brooklyn to help me wash things and set it all up, but she actually started getting upset about it all. I think she was angry that the baby had all this stuff and that it was moving into her room, and 'her' living room, and 'her' mommy and daddy's room. She was then grouchy for a few days surrounding that time until Thursday.

On Thursdays Jimmy works 11:30am to 8pm. We always sleep-in, and that particular day, Brooklyn slept until almost 8am. By then, James and I were both awake just lying there with her in the middle of us (she often comes in our bed at some point in the early morning). Usually when Brooke wakes up and her daddy is there (he usually isn't), she's very happy and hugs him or something.
But this day went like this...

Brooke sat up. She immediately put her hand on my belly and asked,"Kay?"
"Yep, Kaydence is in there," I said.
"Kay my friend."
"Kaydence is your friend?"
"Yep, my grandpa he told me."
"Your grandpa told you?"
"Yep he told me. Daddy's dad. My grandpa."

Needless to say, we believe her now when she says that her grandpa talks to her. How silly of me not to before think about or ponder the fact that Heavenly Father would send angels/people/spirits to help us in our lives. Of course if you understand the order of the priesthood or have been to the temple, you should realize that Heavenly Father Himself doesn't go around doing things in our lives but sends others to fulfill the tasks. And of course, why wouldn't it be our relatives who have died or even will be born? I knew this all, I just don't think I've ever let the thoughts play out in my mind.

I have often been upset that Jimmy doesn't have his dad anymore and that our children miss out on having this wonderful man in their lives, but from experiences when Brooke was born, when she was blessed, and now this...I know that they actually get to have their grandpa in their lives in a very special way. I feel overwhelmed and so blessed that one of the people looking over my beloved daughter is in fact her very own grandpa. No one can love children like their parents and their grandparents do...there is a bond there that is different than any other human relationship. It's comforting because if I had a choice, he's who I would have picked to be there for her. I feel almost dumb for never realizing it before. I'm also secondly very touched by the fact that Heavenly Father has so much concern for his children that He would send someone to help comfort and bring understanding to a 2 year old about her upcoming sister's arrival. It makes me feel like we have very little comprehension of what goes on all around us, and I am grateful that my little girl, who is still so close to our heavenly roots, can
teach me so very much.

4 comments:

Allison said...

I am sobbing!! How is it that such a simple truth can be so hard for us to realize and then remember? Thank you for reminding me that when he can be- Grandpa Weber is with us. I love you Andi! AL

Jackie said...

What a nice story. Thanks for sharing. Kids can teach us so much, right? Love the name for the new baby!

Tiffany said...

Oh wow. That story gave me chills :) Thanks for sharing. Jayden will sometimes be alone and will be talking and talking and talking carrying out this whole conversation that I don't understand... maybe it's something more?

Dana said...

I have found that having a baby is one of the ways I have always felt closest to Heavenly Father. It seems as though we get a little glimpse then.... hearing Brooke makes me remember how important it is to live so that we can have the spirit with us at all times. That the opportunities are always there - it is us that gets so busy and preoccupied that we don't always listen or hear.