Wednesday, September 17, 2014

HOUSE POST #1

I know what you are thinking....where are the "before" pictures!?  Too bad so sad, people.  When we moved in, it was chaos and I was...ahem, super massively pregnant.  There is nothing about that time that I want to remember.  No pictures.  I don't regret that at all, but I do feel like you can't appreciate how much work we've done.

So I'll, paint you a picture, a purple one to be exact.  Ha!  The pictures above are of our living room, and it was purple...purple walls, burgundy carpet, purple ceiling and all.  Some super classy shelves were taking up the entire wall our TV is now on with some old wood and awesome metal brackets (the $1 a piece kind). The light fixture was an antique and shocked anyone that touched it which was discovered when the 6 inches of dust and soot were trying to be cleaned off of it and every vent, wood trim, window, etc.  You see, they had a wood burning furnace that wasn't filtered properly...so yeah, dirty.  The funny thing is, the house was built only in 2000, but it was decorated by someone with taste stuck in the early 90's mixed with antiquing and not a lot of cleaning. 

So the living room has been extensively painted.  The carpeting was replaced.  The wood trim was all put in (a lot of our part of the house was unfinished).  The light switches, outlets and light fixtures were all replaced because of filth.  The french doors are surprisingly original.  Not too bad!

This bathroom is new construction.  It required drain work into the cement floor, new piping run, framing, dry walling, electric run, a door created from the living room, everything.  We hadn't originally planned on putting in this bathroom so I attempted to be a little frugal with it.  The ceramic tile floor is tile that we found left behind from the previous owner.  It kind of inspired my black/white theme.  The vanity, sink and faucet were also surprisingly from one of the bathrooms in my parents' part of the house.  If you haven't caught on, there weren't very many things that were nice enough to keep around.

It's quite small and awkward to take pictures of, but that's because we decided to make it smaller to give more room in the play/school room.  I love the "old wood" wall that Jimmy put up!  I saw that on Pinterest and am so happy how it turned out.