Tuesday, March 12, 2013

TWINS UPDATE #2

I never reported that I have been to the doctor since those ultrasound pictures I first showed.  The doctor found both babies' heartbeats with the Doppler, so I didn't get to see them in an ultrasound again :(....that's okay because soon enough, I will get to have an ultrasound every visit once I start seeing the high risk specialist and I hit 20 weeks.  It was nice to hear both of their hearts though; one was in the 160s and the other in the 150s.  The doctor said my uterus was still growing enormously compared to a singleton pregnancy and was right on target at for twins at 12 weeks with my uterus top already all the way up to my belly button.

I'm 14 weeks now.  My nausea has seemed to subside and I can eat a greater variety of foods.  The doctor had given me a prescription for Zofran because I was puking everyday (not a good thing when it's super important I gain weight with these babies!).  That helped a lot, but so far this week, I've only had to take one.  Nice!!  Speaking of food, I'm STARVING!!  So starving.  I'm trying really hard to gain weight and seriously eat a small meal every 2 hours.  It's important for me to gain most of the weight I need by 34 weeks (the time twins growth dramatically starts to decrease in-utero).  Women who do this are more likely to carry their twins to 37 weeks (considered full term).  It's scary to know I have to gain 40-50lbs with this pregnancy (can you say....Jimmy, please buy me a tummy tuck after this!?!), but I don't want babies born early, and gaining less can lend to that.  Besides taking it easy, that's all the control I have in helping my babies get here strong and healthy and not have to be in the NICU.  It's all very scary since the twin birth average is at 35 weeks and 60% before 37 weeks, 12% before 32 weeks.  SCARY!!  It was consuming me until one of my friends who had twins sent me a link about this renowned multiples book that is specifically about the diet and weight gain pattern found to produce the best results for multiple births (what a fun little read for nutritionist me :)).  Following that weight gain pattern in their clinic, the doctors found that the average for twins became 60% born AT 37 weeks or later.  I've felt much better after learning and reading about that.  I feel more in control knowing there is something I can do, which gives me a greater sense of peace.  So now, I let myself eat and as much as I want.  I'm finding it's actually harder to gain weight than you would think; these babies already consume so much just maintain their little selves :).

Everyone else seems so be consumed with what gender they will be, but all I'm consumed with is whether or not they will really turn into my living breathing children I get to spend the rest of my life with.  That's a pretty normal fear during pregnancy; I just find it "doubled" this time.  I don't care what sex they are, not for a minute.  Let me say though, if they are both girls, there is absolutely NO chance we will have anymore children.  There is only a very very very small chance we would have another anyway after these twins because we are planning on adopting a child (a lifelong dream of mine:)) and a total of 5 sounds plenty, but there will be absolutely NO chance of more if they are girls...Momma and Dadda won't be needing the chance of even more girl drama after that one, LOL. 

Keep our babies in your prayers!

No comments: