So these pictures are priceless, but I'm so glad that this scenario turned out the way it did instead of the many ways it could have turned out bad. I've always followed the rule to not even leave Brooke for a second unattended in the bath, but I left her in the bathroom while the tub was filled yesterday. Of course hearing that I did that now, makes it seem obvious to me that I shouldn't have, but here's what happened...It was the afternoon and I had told her earlier that she needed to take a bath today. She usually takes them in the evening, but she kept saying that she wanted one after she woke up from her nap. So I ran the water and we went upstairs to get pajamas. When we came back down, Apollo was up from his afternoon couch nap and needed to go outside. I set Brooke in the bathroom which is right off of the living room right next to the doorway going into the kitchen/dining room where the backdoor is. I told her to put her bath toys in and take off her clothes. This is what she does every time and she's never even gotten in the bathtub by herself, so how was I to know that in the 15 seconds it took me to put the dogs outside 20 feet from the bathroom that she would silently get in the bathtub by herself with all her clothes on!?
Anyway, it really freaked me out because in just those seconds she could have slipped and cracked her head open or started to drown. She's at a hard age knowing what she can handle and what she can't, even though she tries to do EVERYTHING herself. After I got over my heart plummeting down to my stomach, I couldn't help laugh at her because she had a "this isn't what I was expecting" look on her face. She has a book that she really likes by Sandra Boynton about a turkey that keeps putting his clothes on the wrong body parts. In the end, he finally is fully dressed correctly but jumps into a pool with all of his clothes on. It's one of her favorite books. She loves it when we say "are you supposed to put your shoes on your head?!" or whatever the book is showing and she yells "no!" So when I said, "are you supposed to get in the water with all your clothes on?!" and she said "no!," I couldn't help take a picture. Hopefully we both learned our lessons.


4 comments:
I love this!!! Brooklyn is such a wonderful, smart little girl! You are a good mom - I did the same type of thing with Tyler - I left him at one end of the room playing on the floor at 5 months old and ran to the bathroom to put in my contacts (it took 30 seconds - tops!) and I forgot to secure the gate (we lived in a split-level) and I suddenly heard a tumbling noise and he was at the bottom of the stairs - I could not believe it! I didn't even know he could crawl!!!!! So you see, it happens to all of us!! :) You are great, and Brooklyn is so blessed to have you for a mother!! Love you!
check
check 2
This is too funny! And since I have now seen Brooklyn get a little 'wild' (aka Jimmy's birthday dinner) I can totally see her doing this. I still laugh every time I think of her shooshing me ;)
Post a Comment