Thursday, September 24, 2009

JIMMY'S 25TH BIRTHDAY


Jimmy was feeling kind of old this year. I thought he was being silly, but I guess 25 is a landmark year. I think it's good that he still feels like he needs to accomplish more because that's how we are motivated to keep doing things in our lives. He should be plenty proud of what he's done so far, but I humored him because we all know how it feels to reach a set date or event and not have our expectations met. I tried to make his day special and made a big old ham for dinner and took care of all his responsibilities. He said he had a good day, and I hope I helped him feel a little better.

On a funny side note, at the last minute, I decided to write Jimmy a 100 reasons why I still loved him. Corny, I know and we aren't usually that kind of cheesy couple, but I was trying to think of something that didn't cost money that he would appreciate. There was of course a lot of reasons that were easy to come up with, but it's funny because I have to say that many were honestly harder than I thought they would be. That sounds bad, but let me tell you why...when we were dating or first married I easily could have put: I love that you are kind, I love that you aren't quick to anger, I love that you are honest, etc. Well, no one's perfect and in a few years of marriage, I've seen Jimmy not be kind or be quick to anger so I had to phrase it differently like: I love that you are kinder than most people or I love that you don't get angry very often, etc. It was amusing to me and really got me thinking...we as humans are so flawed no matter how good of a life we are trying to live. Jimmy and I have a happy marriage with a lot of love, but it's been a few years now, everything is out of the bag and we know each others' faults backwards and out. It is interesting that despite knowing more of each others' flaws, we love each other more now than before when we didn't know all those faults. It made me really appreciate him for really knowing me and being able to put up with all that I do wrong and still really truly love me. Even though it annoys me to pick up after him or put up with him being grouchy sometimes, I would miss all of it if someday it was suddenly gone.

Anyway, sorry for the very personal post. I have just been overwhelmed with the peace and security that I feel with James lately. We don't have fancy cars (we don't even have 2 cars actually) or lots of money to burn, but I am so happy just to be his wife and to have our little family together. I have unfortunately lived my whole life looking towards the future to be happier and for the first time, I'm happy with right now and can be satisfied in the moment. I'm thankful for the gospel and the values we've learned to try and live and the happiness they give us.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Andi, You are so sweet! I love you and am so glad you married my brother. Thank you for making Jimmy feel special on his b-day. You are a GREAT example for me!

Tomorrow night is going to be fun :)