Brooklyn sporting her Daddy's hat is super cute right!? She reminds me of Fievel the mouse or something with her ears sticking out of an over-sized hat. I made flashcards for her this week because I heard about that 'Your Baby Can Read' program. The program is $200 and seemed ridiculously priced to me when all it involved was some videos and flashcards. Anyway so I researched the technique and made Brooke flashcards with pictures on the back and the big bold word on the front. They have found that as young as about 9 months, a baby can actually learn to recognize a word and touch their nose or clap just by seeing the word. CRAZY! Brooklyn is starting with body parts and simple verbs associated with them like 'clap' or 'arms up.' You obviously get more complicated as they learn and once they can talk, you can really open up the spectrum to animals, foods, etc and then eventually simple books. I have a friend that did this with her now 5 year old son, and I swear to you people....the kid can read from the scriptures with very little effort (he's in my primary class) and he's not a genius or anything...it's amazing though. So we'll see, it's only been a few days since we started but Brooklyn really has fun with it as you can see. I almost think it is better that I made the cards myself because I used pictures I knew she would be interested in. If all goes well, I'll have to post a video in a few weeks of her doing it. I'll let you know if it's actually as easy as they say to accomplish and worth the effort.
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is!" Derek Zoolander
1 comment:
What a neat idea!!!
Post a Comment